Neuroethics and Neuroscience in the News: Spring 2017
- Jan 25 Preclinical/Prodromal Detection: An online Psychosis Calculator?—Elaine Walker
- Feb 22 Brain Computer Interfaces, Memory Enhancement and Identity—Cory Inman
- March 15 Virtual Reality Ethics—Barbara Rothbaum
- April 5 Neuroprediction of Recidivism—Eyal Aharoni
ConferencesMarch 3-4, 2017: Partners in Treatment Innovation for Functional Neurological Disorders". Second conference of the Mark and Barbara Klein Mind-Body Conference Series at Emory. Register Today.
SymposiaStay tuned for Zombies and Zombethics! October 2017 www.zombethics.com
Past Journal Clubs
- Sept 21: Dr. Heather Kleider-Offut discusses the neuroscience of police violence and systemic racism
- Nov 16: Dr. Jennifer Felger facilitates a discussion on "Inflammation might be causing depression": Stigma of mental illness, reductionism, and (mis-)representations of science
- Dec 7: Dr. Cory Inman facilitates a discussion on brain stimulation and memory.
- Feb 20: Helen Mayberg facilitates a discussion on "Happiness is a Warm Electrode": Deep Brain Stimulation for Depression: Implications for personhood, autonomy, and stigma around mental illness.
- March 16: Larry Young facilitates a discussion on “Could a ‘love hormone’ rebond our troubled world?”: The hope and hype of oxytocin from moral enhancement to treating autism.
- April 20: Marise Parent facilitates a discussion on "Sweets help you stay in shape": Memory, obesity, and free will.
- Sept 15: Dr. Eric Schumacher, Director of the CoNTRol Lab on Attention, Memory, and Cognitive Control will facilitate a discussion on Why DARPA is paying people to watch Alfred Hitchcock
- Nov 17: Dr. Jordan Amadio, neurosurgeon and co-Founder of Neurolaunch will facilitate a discussion on Head Transplants: Making Science (Fiction)?
- Dec 15: Dec 15: Dr. Claire Coles, researcher in the Department of Psychiatry at Emory will facilitate a discussion on Poverty and the Brain: Crack Baby Myths Revisited?
- Jan 29*: Julia Marshall and Scott Lilienfeld facilitate a discussion on "Does neural 'evidence' unduly prejudice jurors' decision-making?"
- Feb 20: Jennifer Mascaro facilitates a discussion on her article, "Testicular volume is inversely correlated with nurturing ‐ related brain activity in human fathers"
- March 18: John Banja and Ryan Purcell facilitate a discussion on cognitive enhancement, "Enhancing motivation, performance, or both?"
- April 22: Constance Shreckengost facilitates a discussion on sugar and the brain and this article "Sugar doesn’t just make you fat—it can also trigger depression, anxiety and stress"